Air compressors are a must have for workshops and job sites but they often bring undesirable noise and vibration. Ideally, they would be located in a separate sound insulated compartment but that's not always an option. Most air compressor companies have incorporated some degree of anti-vibration rubber into their design in the form of bushings, mounts, gaskets, and grommets. However, they often have to choose between cost, durability, and performance. In our price conscious world, I'll let you decide how well the brand that you picked did at balancing those factors.
Chances are there is still room for improvement and sound reduction. In my workshop I've got a California Air Tools CAT-4710SQ 4710Sq Quiet compressor to run my air tools and provide air to a laser cutter. It's handy and I've been very pleased with the generally quiet performance of it. I didn't originally rank it as a high priority project for our Isolate IT Ideas series, but with the option to simply slip a set of Industrial Silent Feet under it, it's a no-brainer.
Installation with most compressors and other shop equipment requires no tools, modifications, or specialty equipment. The Industrial Silent Feet pads are made of extra soft 30 duro blue Sorbothane that is designed to work with a wide range of equipment. The angled sides of the pads provide a stable and sturdy base while the top cup prevents vibrating equipment from wandering or falling off of the pads. Sorbothane is naturally very tacky/sticky which is great for keeping equipment in place but it does mean that in it loves to pick up all types of dirt, sand, dust, sawdust, etc. Before doing any install, give the floor a quick sweep with a broom or better yet hit it with the shop vac. But in a pinch on a jobsite a quick dusting with a glove is plenty. You can always wash the pads later with water to remove the dirt and restore their grip.
1. Clear the installation location of dust and debris. Sweep or vacuum to ensure the pads are able to fully grip the surface.
2. Place the equipment in the desired location.
3. Place the Industrial Silent Feet, sticky blue side down one at a time under each of the stock feet, casters, or mounts of the equipment.
4. Check that the equipment is stable and seated in the cups of the pads. Level if necessary.
Here's a quick list of some other compressors that we recommend installing Industrial Silent Feet on. This is not a complete list. We will continue to add to it as we further evaluate the specifications of compressors. If you do not see your model listed it likely still works with these Sorbothane pads. Check that the mounts or feet of the equipment will fit within the 1.88" cup diameter with a 3/8" lip.
California Air Tools
- California Air Tools 12V1P10S 12 Volt Air Compressor
- California Air Tools Light & Quiet 1P1060S Portable Air Compressor
- California Air Tools Light & Quiet 1P1060SP Portable Air Compressor
- California Air Tools 10TL
- California Air Tools 2010A
- California Air Tools 2010SP
- California Air Tools 2010A
- California Air Tools 4610AC
- California Air Tools 4610S
- California Air Tools 8010
- California Air Tools 8010A
- California Air Tools 8010SPC Quiet 1.0 Hp
- California Air Tools 8010DSPC Quiet 1.0 Hp
- California Air Tools 10020CHAD
- California Air Tools 10020CHAD-22060
- California Air Tools 10020SPC
- California Air Tools 10020DSPCADC
- California Air Tools 20040SPCAD